Sunday, June 1, 2008

We're Getting Ready for Broadway! Broadway! Broadway!...


...We’re getting ready for Broadway on the galaxy tonight!*

I don’t talk about my piano students much here, but I had a great group of kids this year. Really truly, I enjoy each and every one of them, even when they don't practice :)

This year, our recital theme was Broadway musicals. But, not just any Broadway musicals, I wanted these kids to learn about some old school stuff. None of this taking a movie and turning it into a musical, or taking a bunch of pop songs and turning it into a musical (although I do love Mama Mia). We did 1950’s and 1960’s musicals, which meant for some tricky fingering moves for these kids (of my 12, 4 have taken less than a year and 4 more have taken less than 2 years). They were good sports, and each did a great job!

Recitals are also 100 times less stressful when they're done with another teacher. I was happy to have a friend do a combined recital with me; Anna is so dependable and a great baker. Hopefully, next year, we'll have some cellists in the program, too.

*Kate and Sara are probably the only other two people in the blogging world (even Nate has forgotten this gem) who will get such a random reference to this song written by a choir substitute who taught us for 2 weeks and then, quit due to death threat phone calls he began getting. Ah, good times…

3 comments:

Kate said...

Oh my goodness... I just about died laughing when I read that first line. Holy cow... I almost had forgotten that little ditty.
I would love to talk about your piano students. I keep tossing around the idea of teaching again (I did in Ohio). What a fun idea, a themed recital!

EmilyCC said...

Anytime, although I don't know how much help I'll be. You and Sara are definitely more knowledgable piano teachers--I'm just the gimicky, what-can-I-give-you-to-practice-more teacher :)

sara said...

Holy moly I am cracking up!!! At first I thought that was a line from my sophomore year in choir - before you guys came along - but the memories are all flooding back now! I should've fought to have gotten paid a stipend for taking over the choir when the school district ran out of music teachers, then music substitutes, and we were left to fend for ourselves for the last month or two of the year! I had my mom do her best calligraphy on the Fine Arts Banquet certificates...

Having a themed recital is a great idea. Another teacher I know did patriotic songs one year. Fun. I am a mean teacher and make my students do only their "regular" curriculum (so they will learn correct technique, if it kills me!) and then they can do "fun" songs like Broadway, church hymns, etc. during the summer months. All of my 15students right now happen to be LDS so we might do all hymns or hymn arrangements for a recital one year - but most of mine are beginners too.

Too long of a comment, I know. What can I say - get me going about piano lessons or about AHS choir and you can't get me to shut up! :) It's great that you're teaching piano; I love it!