Saturday, August 9, 2008

Allergy tip: squeeze containers

When I make toast, I spread the butter first and then, dip my knife into the jam jar. I do the same with peanut butter, or mayonnaise and mustard. I figured the small amount wasn't a problem in terms of germs or anything. But, then, I had a kid with allergies, and I'd forget about the mayonnaise knife and stick it in the mustard jar, which meant I had to put a big X on it, so Asher wouldn't be exposed (I know, I'm a freaky allergy mom, through and through).

This tip took me 2 years to figure out...

After contaminating many Asher-safe* products with butter, mayonnaise, sour cream, etc., I started buying squeeze bottles of those products. Something about using the squeeze bottle reminds me to grab a clean knife for Asher's food.

*Asher is allergic to nuts, peanuts, soy, egg, and dairy, so anything without those items, I call "Asher-safe."

No comments: