Sunday, July 20, 2008

Oversensitive?

I'm currently teaching one of my online Old Testament classes. Usually, they run pretty smoothly, but every time I log-on to monitor class discussion, I hold my breath. We've had some pretty crazy stuff happen; I've had to jump in for racism, misogyny, and well, calling your classmate, "stupid" isn't acceptable either.


This week, we were talking about Abraham, so as an exercise in hermeneutics, I had my students compare the Judeo-Christian version of Abraham sacrificing his son with the Muslim version of the same story. Primary differences? Ishmael is the son in the Koran's version, and he's involved in the decision. Adds a whole new set of dynamics.

So, when I read the opening comment, "This is really interesting! It almost makes them seem human..." I felt my heart sink--did she really just say that about Muslims?

She meant Abraham and Ishmael, and then, everyone in the class went on to say how much they liked having the added perspective. Yay!
In that vein, enjoy this video my cousin-in-law sent me.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Very interesting!
Thanks for that video, I really liked it. Damond took his young men to the Mosque a couple of months ago and had a friend of ours give them a tour. (all in hopes that they wouldn't make comments like your students once they get to college :)
I, too am trying to understand more since my good friend married a Muslim. It's been a difficult situation, but I am hoping for the best!

Unknown said...

I should have taken that Old Testament class. (I have been trying to get through the Old Testament for years! Maybe you can recommend some way for me to get through it :)

Nate said...

I found the best way to get through the OT is to marry an OT academic, and then ask her any questions that happen to come up about the OT when I am watching veggie tales with Asher and Thor.

SLP said...

Like Nate, I found the best way was to marry a Harvard acedemic as well :)

LOVED the video and can't wait to see what you present at EXII!

Mary said...

Thank you! I'm going to show this to my students and ask them to write about it. Then I'm going to ask you to read their essays because I'm scared about what they'll write. YIKES.