Thursday, December 9, 2010

Christmas ornaments 2010

Every year, I get the kids an ornament. My mom was more ambitious than I...I had all red angels, Sarah had all green angels, and Rachel had all blue angels with David having nutcrackers and Tom having Santas (or maybe the boys are the other way around).
This year, I let Asher and Luke pick the ornaments on a day when Asher had pink eye and I needed a bribe to get through the day. I had gone to the Hallmark website to look things over and had a pretty good idea of what we might get.

I wanted to get Luke this Animal from the Muppets ornament. I got Luke an Animal t-shirt this year that scared him until I showed him a few YouTube clips of Animal. Now, Luke LOVES Animal and unfortunately, imitates him at inopportune moments. Still, if Luke played the drums, he'd do it with his feet, too.

And, I wanted Asher to get this cute Green Eggs and Ham ornament because we've been working so hard on his reading. And, because we've tried a few new foods this year that Asher has ended up liking to which I point out, "Now, aren't you glad you tried it like Green Eggs and Ham?" Of course, then, he has to remind me he is allergic to eggs.

But, I'm flexible...I was willing to go with the Tom and Jerry ornament. Don't love it, but I was open to it.







I was hoping if Luke didn't want Animal, I could talk him into this Star Wars ornament, but I didn't have a lot of home. He's kind of burned out on Star Wars since the whole "my mom made me be a
Jedi for Halloween" thing.

I was even willing to go with this Scooby-Doo ornament (though I may have changed my mind the 532nd time I heard Scooby say, "RERRY RISTMAS!").
Like I said...totally flexible.
But, what I didn't forsee is the train ornaments because seriously, I like to think we're seeing the light at the end of the train fad tunnel finally (FINALLY!).

Totally wrong though...
Asher got this little Lionel steamer that is supposed to hook together, but won't.






And, Luke got this Polar Express ornament. We did this yesterday and have already lost the bell. But, don't worry, it never rang (I checked with Asher and Luke to make sure it wasn't me ;) ) anyway.




I was firm when both boys decided they desperately wanted this $45 ornament where that train you see? It goes around the ornament and through the tunnel--sheesh!






Not to fear, though...I got to pick out Emma's ornament from this shop. At least she's not old enough to fight me.
























I just try to get my kids an ornament of something they liked that year.

4 comments:

Kate said...

I love the idea of getting them an ornament of something they like that year. I would do that, except it's too late to start... and we have the problem of SO many new ornaments every year.
My mom gets them each a themed ornament (Tyson gets snowmen, Sam gets Santa, Paige gets angels, and Allie gets treats).
My MIL gets everyone just random ornaments that never go together or with anyone's personality or anything. I really don't ever get her reasoning.
Some old family friends of my in-laws get each kid a handmade wooden ornament from some local shop where they live each year.
I get an ornament with each child's picture on it for that year. And then I also try to get a family ornament to represent that year (like this year it is a disney ornament because we took our big disneyland trip).
So... our tree is full and fun... and random. But I just LOVE that you let your kids have a say in it.
And I love little Emma's ornament. So sweet.

Jessica Steed said...

You are a better mom than I.
I have never bought my children an ornament, and even if I did, I would never put it on my tree (unless it matched)

Maybe the kids need their own little tree in the playroom?

Can't wait to see you sometime. Shall we go to the train park for lights?

Dave said...

I know you would associate my propensity for violence and my love of firearms during my childhood with toy soldiers, but I got the Santa ornaments and Thomas got the toy soldier ornaments. You can remember the color of the angels Em, but you can't bother to remember Thomas or my ornaments . . . cold.

Khadka said...

HOW ARE YOU?
I AM FROM NEPAL. MALE FORTY. WORKING IN A SCHOOL HERE IN KATHMANDU.
WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN THESE DAYS?
WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE SOME OF MY ARTICLES WHICH I HAVE PREPARED ON THE OCCASION OF THE VISIT YEAR OF NEW YEAR.
LIKE
WWW.MERO-KURA.BLOGSPOT.COM

AS WELL AS
HTTP://NEWZIRI.BLOGSPOT.COM

I ALSO WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM YOU .
THANK YOU.
SEE YOU.