Monday, April 30, 2007

The Worst Allergy

With Asher being allergic to so many things, sometimes, I fantasize about what he'll outgrown, or when I'm frustrated or bored by our limited menu, I focus on all the good things he can still eat.

I have come to the conclusion that there are 4 foods that are difficult for me to live without:

Corn: While I do love some fresh corn on the cob, that's not the thing I miss. The culprit is corn syrup; it's in everything! For a little bit, the allergist suspected Asher was allergic to corn. That month, potatoes were our only starch (wheat and rice were suspected allergens, too), turkey was our only "safe" meat, and a lot of fruits and vegetable (well, except for corn and peas). We couldn't eat processed foods like chips or cereal because they usually had corn syrup in them, and even if they didn't, they often were made at facilities that made other products with corn syrup. Ugh...my sympathies go to those who have corn allergies!

Soy: Soy is in lots of stuff too. Perhaps it's a cheap filler?

Now, I have to admit that corn and soy are not foods I eat daily in their "raw" state--they're great flavor enhancers, but they don't flavors, textures, smells, I love.

So, here are my other tough foods:
Dairy: It has been thirty days since I last had a glass of milk, a piece of cheese, a cup of yogurt. Two weeks after Luke was born, I was fed up with how much this kid cried and pooped. We were going through 20+ diapers a day, he was always crying, and he had the most horrendous diaper rash despite 4 different types of diaper rash creams, one perscription cream, and just letting him air dry 10+ hours a day (we did a lot of laundry those weeks!). With Asher's dairy allergy, and some other family members' sensitivity to dairy

Chocolate: I don't think I need to explain this one :)

No comments: